I am internationally recognized as one of the world's leading lawyers in insurance, reinsurance, and product liability, Expert Guides, London, UK: expertguides.com.
Best Special Risks Law Firm 2020 and Distinction Award for Construction Liability Cases 2020/Canadian Business Awards/Corporate Vision/AI Global Media/U.K.
Member: International Association of Defense Counsel (Vice Chair of International/Insurance and Reinsurance Committee), Defence Research Institute, and Benchmark Chambers International/People’s Republic of China.
I have served as a nominee of the Attorney General of Canada on the Minister’s Judicial Advisory Committee and have appeared in the Supreme Court of Canada in EDG v. Hammer  S.C.R. 459 (one of a trilogy of cases heard at the same time regarding institutional liability for sexual abuse). I have published and lectured extensively, and have served as an Adjunct Professor of Insurance Law, Faculty of Law, at Thompson Rivers University.
Services to the local market in British Columbia are also provided to individual and businesses in insurance coverage disputes and complex commercial litigation. Mediation services are also provided to law firms throughout British Columbia.
My wife, Conny, and I have a farm in Barnhartvale on the outskirts of Kamloops where we raise goats, donkeys, and have a variety of other animals. We enjoy skiing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, golf and travel.
• Member, Law Society of British Columbia (1983)
• Benchmark Chambers International, Expert Pool, People’s Republic of China
• Member, Law Society of British Columbia
• Defence Research Institute
• Canadian Defence Lawyers
• International Association of Defence Counsel, Chicago, Illinois.
• Drawing the Lines Between Insurance Misrepresentation and Fraudulent Omissions, January 2021, Insurance and Reinsurance Committee Newsletter, IADC. [link]
• Too Big to Certify? Class Actions in Canada, January 2021, Product Liability Committee Newsletter, IADC. [link]
• Insurance Policies without Limits: More Pitfalls for Underwriters, April 2020, Insurance and Reinsurance Committee Newsletter, IADC. [link]
• Social Host Liability in Canada: 2020; July 15, 2020, Expert Guides, London, UK. [link]
• Travel Medical Insurance and the Perils of Bad Faith Claims, Insurance and Reinsurance Committee Newsletter, International Association of Defence Counsel, November 2019. [link]
• Advertising Liability in Canada: Blue Mountain Log Sales Ltd. v. Lloyd’s Underwriters, 2019 BCCA 240, Expert Guides, London., UK, August 2019; Insurance and Reinsurance Committee Newsletter, International Association of Defence Counsel, September 2019. [link]
• The Quixotic Quest for Ambiguity in Insurance Contracts: Revisiting the Pollution Exclusion Clause, Insurance and Reinsurance Committee Newsletter, International Association of Defence Counsel, June 2019. [link]
• The Long and Winding Road: Resinsurance Issues in Canada: Insurance and Reinsurance Committee Newsletter, International Association of Defence Counsel (December 2018). [link]
• Cyber Liability Insurance Coverage in Canada: Insurance and Resinsurance Committee Newsletter, International Association of Defence Counsel (November 2018). [link]
• An Update on the Family Member Exclusion Clause: The End of Russian Roulette in Policy Interpretation – Harmon C. Hayden. [link]
• The Family Exclusion Clause: The Search for Ambiguity – Harmon C. Hayden, [link]
• Revisiting the CGL Policy and the Duty to Defend in Canada: The Triggering Event – Harmon C. Hayden. [link]
• The Settlement Exclusion In Western Canada – Harmon C. Hayden.[link]
• Product Liability & Insurance Law Expert of the Year, British Columbia, 2021. [link]
• Best for Construction Disputes 2021, Canadian Business Awards 2021, Corporate Vision, Staffordshire, UK. Also the enclosed publication from IADC. [link]
• Best Special Risks Law Firm 2020 and Distinction Award for Construction Liability Cases 2020/Canadian Business Awards/Corporate Vision/AI Global Media/U.K.
• International Association of Defence Counsel, the preeminent defence association of 2,500 invitation-only, peer reviewed international members.
• Benchmark Chambers International, Expert Pool, People’s Republic of China.
• Leading Specialist in Insurance and Reinsurance Law 2019-Canada, Corporate Excellence Awards, AI Global Media, U.K.
• Product Liability & Insurance Law Expert of the Year 2019, CV Magazine, Canadian Business Awards, Burton-on-Trent, U.K.
• World’s Leading Lawyers in Insurance and Reinsurance, Expert Guides, London, U.K.
• World’s Leading Lawyers in Product Liability, Expert Guides, London, U.K.
• Most Influential Lawyer of the Year–2018/Insurance and Reinsurance. Corporate Excellence Awards 2018, CV Magazine, AI Global Media, Staffordshire, U.K.
• Distinguished Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, for 20 years.
• ACQ Global Awards 2018 and 2017 CANADA – Gamechanger of the Year
• Insurance and Reinsurance Law Firm of the Year 2018, Canada
• Product Liability Law Firm of the Year 2018, Canada
• World's Leading Lawyers in Insurance and Reinsurance 2018
• My former firms have received numerous international awards as one of the leading law firms in insurance, reinsurance and product liability.
Frances was called to the bar in British Columbia in 2008 and has been practicing in the area of insurance litigation for the past 10 years. Frances has represented clients at the Provincial Court of British Columbia, the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the British Columbia Court of Appeal and the Federal Court. Frances enjoys a diverse insurance litigation practice, including municipal liability, products liability, motor vehicle liability, occupier’s liability, social host and commercial host liability, construction litigation as well as subrogation and coverage disputes. In her spare time you will find Frances outdoors with her family.
Cornelia is the Executive Assistant for Harmon Hayden Law. She was an Administrative Assistant for the Consulate General of Switzerland for 10 years before moving to Kamloops. She began her career as an administrative assistant in Bern, Switzerland. She then traveled the world as a flight attendant with Swissair and Canada 3000. She is bilingual in English and German, with some French ability. She is responsible for firm management generally, marketing, and travel arrangements. In her spare time, she enjoys outdoor activities and managing our farm in the outskirts of Kamloops.
The logo for Harmon Hayden Law is the Lion of Lucerne. It was carved into the rocks by Bertel Thorvaldsen in a former sandstone quarry in Lucerne, Switzerland, in 1820 and measures 10 metres by 6 metres. It was created in honour of the 700 Swiss Guard who fought in the French Revolution and were subsequently killed by the revolutionary mobs. Above the lion are sketched the Latin words: "HELVETIORUM FIDEI AC VIRTUTI". This means: "To the loyalty and bravery of the Swiss."
More broadly, we use the logo not only to honour the brave Swiss, but brave warriors throughout history. Those who fight against overwhelming odds for duty, honour, and country. More recently, I was inspired to use it in honour of my dear friend, Norman Reader, who died recently in a construction accident. He fought valiantly in the Rhodesian resistance on behalf of the South African Military Police in the early 1970's. The Rhodesians fought alone against the world until they could fight no more. May they rest in peace. May we never be ruled by mobs.
All material contained within this website © Harmon Hayden Law.